Saturday, April 26, 2008

Where, O where did the blankie go?


If any of you know my son Daniel, he is attached to the blankie in the picture above! This kid goes everywhere with it. He sleeps with it, eats with it and even has to have it in the room when he is taking a bath! Needless to say, he loves this piece of material.

Well, the last time that Daniel had the flu, I had to wash his blankie every time he threw up on it so that he would go back to sleep. In the middle of the night one time, he had an accident and we sat up until the blankie was washed for him to get back to bed. I put him back in his bed and he threw up on half of it before I could even leave the room. I had had it! So, I grabbed the scissors and through my tears, cut the thing in half. So, now we had 2 blankies and one is always clean and ready to go.

Well, this last Wednesday, I was doing Laundry and Daniel saw the "other" blankie on my bed and went crazy. Can you imagine his excitement when he thought he had 2 of them? He walked around all morning with both of them. I didn't have the guts to take one away so I thought that I would just take one when he went down for his nap. Well, by the time we got home from taking Dillon to Preschool - we couldn't find either of them! I even called Dillon at Preschool to see if he had hid them from his brother. Nope, nothing. I looked everywhere. I seriously looked for a good 2 hours that day.

When Brandon got home from work that night, he looked for another hour. We just couldn't find them anywhere. So, Daniel was forced to go to bed with a different blankie. I was devastated. I even had dreams about where it might be. I would wake up in the morning stressing about the location of this blankie!

Friday was our "date" day. (Yes, I have the best mother-in-law in the world! She watches our kids every Friday so we can have some alone time). Brandon and I had a great lunch and a new restaurant on Lake Mead called Create. It was actually really good. Brandon had to turn his motorcycle boots into the boot shop for fixing and then we proceeded to spend 3 HOURS looking for a new blankie that was the same material as the old one. We went to 5 (yes I said FIVE) fabric stores and 3 baby stores trying to find a replacement. We were on a mission! This material just does not exist in fleece. We found it in cotton. But that would just not do!

Friday night I was in my closet getting changed for bed and decided to look under Brandon's shorts that were hung up on the bottom rack. Both Brandon and I had looked in our closet many times because Daniel likes to hide in the clothes when we are getting ready. Well, I pulled back the clothes and there were the blankies stuffed in a basket underneath Brandon's shorts. HOLY COW! I was so excited it was like I had just won the lottery! I ran out to the hall and showed Brandon (who was going through the towel closet seeing if I accidentally folded them inside a towel - told you, we were obsessed with it). We anxiously called Daniel to come and look. He rounded the corner and dove for the blankie. His face was priceless. I wish I would have had a camera.

So, now we have a kid who has his blankie back, 2 parents that are finally relieved that he won't be scarred for life and a brother who is glad his parents don't ask him every 20 minutes if he hid them from his brother! I can't believe how much it bothered us that he didn't have his blankie anymore. I love seeing him walk down the hall with it dragging behind him like Linus from the Peanuts. He is so dang cute with this thing. We play peek-a-boo about 20 times a day with it and we are all so happy that it is back in our lives!

(Whoa - that was a long story!)

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Wow, what a story! I am so glad you found it, but sorry that you spent so much time looking for it!

Nicole Cave said...

Look what kids put us through! I cannot stand when I can't find something...it drives me crazy.

Summers Family said...

Ya gotta love the blankets! Mckenna has one too! I am sooo glad you joined the blogging world! It is addicting, and now i will probably officially get nothing done!!!!